The 2024 Toyota Alphard (and Vellfire) has finally been unveiled after numerous leaks, and it’s everything we’ve expected it to be, plus more. Following the debut of its sibling from Lexus called the LM, the Alphard brings with it familiarity as well as a huge upgrade in terms of tech and luxury.
Starting from the design, the surprise factor has somewhat been toned down now since we’ve already seen how it looks from previous leaks. However, thanks to the press photos from Toyota, we can finally appreciate this luxury MPV in its full glory. The front grille is bigger than ever, but at least in both the Alphard and Vellfire, the grille is now more integrated into the rest of the car’s design.
Separating the two cars are their different grille patterns, with the Vellfire having a simpler but sportier horizontal bar motif. The side profile is common for both luxury MPVs, with both models benefitting from a generous glass area as well as a Z-shaped window line that serves as the most distinct design feature of the Alphard and Vellfire. Sculpted front fenders and a line that flows from the windows to the rear fascia give the rear end of these two MPVs a lot of character.
Speaking of the rear end, this is where the two MPVs once again diverge away from each other. While both models have a similar wing-shaped fascia, their LED light patterns are different. The Alphard’s taillights mimic its complex grille pattern up front while the Vellfire has a more traditional design but is connected by a full-width LED light bar. Regardless of which luxury MPV you choose, both look great in our eyes. Whether you prefer the regal looks of the Alphard or the sportier looks of the Vellfire is up to you.
Inside, the 2024 Toyota Alphard and Vellfire look practically similar with minor differences in color and trimmings. Luxurious materials are the order of the day, along with a standard 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster and a large 14-inch touch screen infotainment system. Toyota is particularly proud to highlight that these two luxury MPVs have a so-called “Super-Long Overhead Console”.
By relocating all of the aircon vents, the ambient LED lighting, personal reading lights, and most of the controls for the sunshades and the sunroof to the middle of the roof, Toyota has created an intuitive space that brings easy access to controls as well as creating a two-piece sunroof for each of the two captain’s chairs at the second row. The sunshades in particular are interesting, as these now whirr down from the top of the windows instead of manually raising them.
Another highlight of the 2024 Toyota Alphard and Vellfire’s interior is its “Universal Steps”, which are basically powered side steps that automatically deploy when the sliding doors are opened, providing easy access for children and the elderly.
Riding on the TNGA-K platform, the new Alphard and Vellfire come with MacPherson strut front suspension and independent double-wishbone rear suspension at the rear. Straight rockers and a V-shaped brace at the rear end of the structure improve the Alphard’s rigidity by 50 percent, while the Vellfire gets an additional Front Performance Brace and unique suspension tuning, which is in line with this model’s sportier orientation.
These two vehicles won’t just handle better, they’ll also be more refined than ever. Toyota spent a lot of effort in making the cabin as quiet as being in the middle of a forest, while added special adhesives have resulted in a 30 percent reduction in vibrations.
Unfortunately, if you want the smoothness of the V6, then you’re out of luck. That has been replaced by a 2.4-liter turbocharged four-cylinder that produces 275 horsepower, which is sent to the front wheels via an eight-speed automatic. An entry-level 180-horsepower 2.5-liter non-turbo gasoline engine is available in Japan on lower-end versions of the Alphard, but that’s probably an engine you want to avoid for such a large luxury MPV. Of course, electrification has always been part of Toyota’s plan, which is why this will come with a 2.5-liter hybrid drivetrain that produces a system output of 247 horsepower. A plug-in hybrid version is on the cards, too.
The 2024 Toyota Alphard and Vellfire are already on sale in Japan, in which the Inabe Plant in Japan will have a production output of 8,500 units per month, If you’re curious, the Alphard will account for 70 percent of production while the remaining 30 percent will be for the Vellfire. Here’s to hoping that it arrives in the Philippines being sold at retail price, considering how insatiably popular the Alphard is.