The Association of Vehicle Importers and Distributors, Inc. (AVID) tallied 30,153 units sold for the first half of 2021 or a 55% increase from 19,509 units sold in the same period last year. In June alone, AVID sales bested its 2020 sales by 33 percent with 4,936 units sold this year compared to last year’s 3,698 units. June sales also improved over those of May, though by a hairline, from 4,871 to 4,936 units sold.
Said AVID President Ma. Fe Perez-Agudo, “It has been an uphill struggle for the automotive industry, more so among importers, but the recent numbers are encouraging. As our nation progresses towards achieving herd immunity, the automotive industry has proven resilient and poised to emerge stronger than ever. With better prospects ahead, we will continue to give our best to ensure the complete recovery of the industry. This much, we owe the Filipino people.”
The Commercial Vehicles (CV) segment continues to be AVID’s pillar of growth with total sales surging by 456 percent (YTD). Hyundai steadily drives the segment as it sustains its support for the national Public Utility Vehicle Modernization Program (PUVMP). The leading Korean brand tallied 759 units sold (YTD), far from the 137 units sold in the same period in 2020, and maintaining its prime spot as No. 1 in the bus segment and No. 4 in the trucks segment.
Light Commercial Vehicles (LCV) sales banner AVID’s performance accounting for 72 percent of its total output. LCV sales grew by an impressive 64 percent from 13,244 units in the first half of 2020 to 21,684 units sold in the same period this year. Ford maintains its lead in this segment with 9,096 LCV units sold, followed by Suzuki with 6,038 units, and Hyundai with 2,837 units sold.
The Passenger Cars (PC) segment also improved by 26 percent from 6,128 units in 2020 to 7,707 units in 2021. Year-on-year, the PC segment grew by 13 percent in June with 1,350 units sold this year against 1,200 units last year. Suzuki keeps its top spot with 3,949 units sold, followed by Hyundai with 2,567 units sold.
- ANG: Auto Nation Group (Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Mercedes-Benz)
- BUAI: British United Automobiles, Inc. (Lotus, MINI)
- DMI: DBPHILS Motorsports, Inc. (Aston Martin)
- FGPI: Ford Group Philippines, Inc. (Ford)
- HARI: Hyundai Asia Resources, Inc. (Hyundai)
- MIPI: Motor Image Pilipinas, Inc. (Subaru)
- LMI: Legado Motors, Inc. (GAC)
- PGA: PGA Cars, Inc. (Audi, Bentley, Lamborghini, Porsche)
- SMC: Scandinavian Motors Corporation (Volvo)
- SPI: Suzuki Philippines, Inc. (Suzuki)
- TAC: Triesenburg Auto Corporation (Kinglong)
- TCCCI: The Covenant Car Company, Inc. (Chevrolet)
- JAIPI: JAC Automobile International Philippines (JAC)